Our environmental efforts
- Our Distribute-and-Print model reduces the energy consumption and emissions associated with long-distance shipping.
- In FY2013 alone, our network recycled 54,873 tons of waste fiber (including paper and cardboard).
- Our private paper label, Inspire Earth, includes 10% post consumer waste, triple forest certification (FSC®, SFI®, and PEFC) and outstanding printability that equates to less waste during production.
- Aluminum Recycling – We recycle more than 518 tons of aluminum per year.
- Ink – Nearly all of our printing inks are soy and vegetable based and less harmful to the environment.
- Energy efficient lighting in our facilities reduces energy consumption, as well as offsets a portion of our grid electricity through the purchase of verifiable Renewable Energy Credits (RECs).
Responsible Forestry Management
Bridgetown Printing, an RR Donnelley Company, provides customers with a variety of supply options that protect forest ecosystem health. The Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®), Sustainable Forest Initiative® (SFI®) and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) all promote responsible forest management, reforestation and continuous improvement in standards and practices. In addition, these independent organizations employ guidelines consistent with our sustainability principles to ensure customers of an environmentally sound sourcing process. For a list of certified locations, please click here
Global Social Responsibility Report»
Sustainable Green Printing Partnership (SGP) certification
Founded in 2008, SGP is an independent, non-profit organization providing a certification label for sustainability in the graphic communications industry. SGP is the industry standard for the certification and continuous improvement of sustainability and best practices within print manufacturing operations. SGP provides a benchmark for print facilities’ sustainability endeavors. Its criteria covers the product, input materials used to produce products such as substrates, inks and coatings; the process, the manufacturing process involving press equipment and supporting technology; and the envelope, the facility in its entirety, its energy consumption, employees, and supporting activities.
Sun Chemical Green Technology
The world’s largest producer of printing inks and pigments, Sun Chemical is a leading provider of materials to packaging, publication, coatings, plastics, and cosmetics using manufacturing processes that demonstrate environmental excellence through lower waste generation, lower energy and water usage, and strong safety performance. Sun Chemical raises awareness about environmental issues, continues to develop methodologies to assess their impact, and innovates processes and products that are more sustainable from both an economic and environmental standpoint.
Sustainability Policy (SUPO)
Bridgetown Printing has been an active member of the Portland community for over 100 years. We deliver high quality printing and technology solutions to our customers. This requires a commitment on the part of the entire Bridgetown staff to safety, protecting our health, and preserving the environment.
As part of this we make the following commitments:
Commitment to our Employees
- We will keep our employees and customers safe by monitoring and complying with all EHS regulations pertinent to our company.
- We will monitor and comply with all federal, state, and local employment labor laws applicable to our location and industry.
Commitment to our Customers
- We will focus on running all parts of all facility using a minimum of waste, working to maximize efficiency and minimize pollution.
- We will frequently evaluate and periodically audit our entire operation looking for ways to increase efficiency and decrease waste.
- We will encourage the use of environmentally friendly substrates and procedures.
- We will comply with the requirements of other initiatives we enter into.
Commitment to our Community
- We will engage with our community.
- We will work to make recycling second nature to all staff.
- We will commit to the greater good of our community.
- We will commit to continuous improvement in sustainable operations across our entire facility.
Commitment to our Stakeholders
- We will communicate all progress on the steps we are taking to achieve our sustainability goals with all stakeholders: our employees, vendors, community neighbors, customers and other interested parties.
By taking these steps, the goal of this Sustainability Policy is to make taking care of our community and our environment an integral part of Bridgetown’s operation. In this way, we seek to ensure that the future of printing and of Bridgetown is a benefit to the Portland community. This policy and any subsequent modifications should be familiar to all employees and available to the public on our website.